[UPDATE: You HAVE to read the comments in the thread below this post! This ain’t a bunch of fundies, it’s a “reverse psychology / this is where your conclusion logically leads” kind of thing being floated by equal marriage rights folks!]
A peek above our garters to Viviane (way NSFW!) for this story:
Some fundy group in Washington called “The Washington Defense of Marriage Alliance” has filed a proposition called Initiative 957.
Initiative 957 would require all married couples in the state to file a “Proof of Procreation” within three years of the marriage or the marriage would automatically be annulled.
According to Daily Dose of Queer, the nutters released a press statement that further lists the objectives of this initiative:
- add the phrase, “who are capable of having children with one another” to the legal definition of marriage;
- require that couples married in Washington file proof of procreation within three years of the date of marriage or have their marriage automatically annulled;
- require that couples married out of state file proof of procreation within three years of the date of marriage or have their marriage classed as “unrecognized;”
- establish a process for filing proof of procreation; and
- make it a criminal act for people in an unrecognized marriage to receive marriage benefits.
Hopefully, it won’t get the 224,800 signatures it needs by July 6th to be on the ballot this November, but even if it does, I hope that Washington voters aren’t insane enough to pass this crap.
You never know these days, though.
The Washington Supreme Court last year issued a ruling:
…stating gay and lesbian couples could be prevented from marrying by the state because Washington has a legitimate interest in preserving marriage for couples who can procreate.
I guess two 70 year old widows shouldn’t be allowed to marry either. Or anyone else that for medical or other reasons can’t have children.
After all, “Washington has a legitimate interest in preserving marriage for couples who can procreate”.