I’m sorry I seem to have gotten myself caught up in the Culture Wars. I don’t want this blog to turn into a peeing match, or an insult war. No flames, no insults, or go elsewhere.
I’m much more interested in scientific debate, however. This post is the place to do that.
Ground Rules are “below the fold”.
Here are the ground rules, please don’t make me add more.
1. Sort of like Godwin’s Law, if you insult, you lose and you get banned. I will not tolerate it.
2. This is a science debate about whether evolution or Intelligent Design correctly describes modern humanity. No religion, no politics, no fluff.
3. This is for you to make positive arguments for your case, backed up by science. No attacks on the other side, no critiques even, until I give the OK for rebuttal. POSITIVE EVIDENCE FOR YOUR POSITION ONLY!
4. I am the sole arbiter, and though you may certainly appeal to me any decision you think is unfair, “I think you’re wrong” is not a sufficient argument.
5. One comment at a time. We’ll start with Dave. Dave will make a positive scientific argument for ID. I will then make a comment, and IAMB (Matt, right?) will make his rebuttal. I will then make a comment, and IAMB can make a positive scientific argument for evolution. Everybody see how this is going to work?
6. If someone else would like to make a comment, a positive argument or rebuttal, please comment with just “ahem, rebuttal to Matt”, or “ahem positive evidence”, and I’ll let you know when you can make your comment.
7. Kissing my butt and gratuitous compliments to me are not positive scientific arguments for your position, but they are welcome anyway.
8. PLEASE WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE! MY MOM, MY AUNT MARY, AND MY NIECE READ THIS BLOG!
I know this all sounds rather dictatorial, but it’s the only way I can think of to keep this from degenerating into a flame war.
Those are the rules, I’ll add more if they become necessary, but we’re all supposed to be grown-ups, so please don’t make them necessary.
Dave, you’re up first because I believe that Matt took a shot at you personally first, thus making you the first-injured party here.